Ethics Committee within the North Shore – LIJ Health System
The Ethics Committee at the North Shore- LIJ Health System is always available to patients, families, and staff members for assistance or advice when ethical issues relating to patient care arise.
An ethics consult is a process whereby clinicians meet with patients, family members and/or members of the healthcare team to address ethical concerns or conflicts.
To request an Ethics Consult
Any patient, family member or hospital staff member can request an Ethics Consult. To arrange a consult, call the consult line at (516) 470-5841
Problems for which an Ethics Consultation May Be Helpful
- Advance directives or surrogate decision making
- Deciding whether to stop treatment
- Conflicts with caregivers or loved ones
- Decisions about cardio-pulmonary resuscitation
These are just examples. If you are unsure whether an ethics consultation is appropriate, please call to discuss it with us. We will help you understand how best to proceed. Even if we decide together that an ethics consultation is not appropriate at this time, we can help put you in touch with the appropriate resources to address your concerns.
An Ethics Consult:
- Clarifies the nature of the ethical question
- Promotes discussion of ethical standards and responsibilities related to patient care
- Encourage shared decision making among patients, families and the healthcare team
- Makes impartial recommendations to those involved
- Promotes interdisciplinary mediation of difficult decisions in chronic illness
Ethics Committee Recommendations
The Committee recommendations are advisory - the patient and medical team can decide whether to follow the recommendations or not. However, we hope that our recommendations will be helpful in reaching a decision that feels right for everyone and assists patients in making choices that are as true as possible to their authentic values.